handcrafted furniture made in maine
The Gallery at Somes Sound, a Maine Outreach Prison Program sponsor, sells furniture made by the prisoners. The Maine Prison Outreach Program commenced in August 2012 with a curriculum developed by Brian Reid. Current instructors are Brian Reid (Rockland) and Howard Hatch (Augusta).
Reid is a Windgate Fellow at SUNY Purchase, NY from September-December 2017.
In 2016, Brian taught at the Escuela de Artes y Oficios Santo Domingo, the Centre for Fine Woodworking, Nelson, New Zealand and Cooroora Institute in Australia's Sunshine Coast.
- Nathaniel Reade writes, When Worlds Collide, for NE Home Magazine, March/April 2016.
- Edgar Allen Beem writes, Woodworking Behind Bars: Brian Reid teaches prison inmates how to craft fine furniture, for Down East, June 2015.
- Debbie Hagan writes, Made in Prison: Furniture masters teach inmates lessons about art, craft and life, for Art New England, November/December 2014.
- Courier-Gazette publishes Fine Woodworking Program, Maine State Prison, Warren ME, Summer 2013.
- Patrick G. Downes writes, Brian Reid: Serious Play, for Woodwork Magazine, Winter 2013.
- The Bangor Daily News honored Brian with "Rockland craftsman honored for fine furniture making."
- Brian's work can be viewed every June-September during the annual Faculty Exhibition at the Center for Furniture Craftmanship, Rockport.
- Brian is represented by The Gallery at Somes Sound, Somesville (on Mt. Desert Island).
Stay connected with Brian Reid Furniture on Facebook.